People have been living on earth for about 250,000 years. For the past 5,000 healers have been trying to heal the sick. For all but the past 200, they haven’t been very good at it. Luna Courses is a good place for holistic therapy courses.
– Dr. Paul Offit
Here are 10 interesting facts about alternative therapy and how it all started.
- Massage therapy dates back thousands of years and has been recorded in ancient writings from the Orient, Asia, Arabia and Greece.
- 2/3 of people who use complementary and alternative medicine do not tell their medical doctor.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) currently invests about $40 million per year in complementary and alternative medicine related research.
- 19 percent of Fortune 500 companies offer alternative medicine as part of their health care compensation packages.
- More than 70% to 90% of physicians consider complementary and alternative medicine therapies, such as diet and exercise, behavioral medicine, counseling and psychotherapy, and hypnotherapy, to be legitimate medical practices.
- One-half of all medical schools now offer courses in alternative medicine.
- Spinal manipulation was used by the Ancient Greeks long before it was incorporated into chiropractic and osteopathic medicine in the 19th
- Traditional Chinese medicine has been chosen by the World Health Organization for worldwide propagation to meet the heath care needs of the twenty-first century.
- The World Health Organization estimates that between 65 to 80 percent of the world’s population (over 4 billion people) rely on alternative medicine as their primary form of health care compared to only 10 to 30 percent of people who use conventional medicine.
- Medicinal herbs were found amongst the personal effects of the mummified prehistoric “ice man” who was found in the Italian Alps in 1991.
Always remember that natural doesn’t equal safe or effective. Alternative therapy will always be the way to go, just remember that you are responsible for your own well being.